what this blog is about




The following is a work of fiction set in a very far future. Nothing in it should be taken too seriously…

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chapter Eight, Not Quite Paradise




"You know Papamellius?" Omni said, her avatar showing something like stunned disbelief on its simulated features. "How is that possible?"

Bobbi shook his head. "Oh, I don’t know him, of course. But he looks a lot like, well, figures from myth and stories in my own day. Like Baron Samedi, for instance."

"Baron Who?" 

"Samedi. He was one of the more powerful Loa…uh, spirits…in Voodoo."

The avatar seemed to freeze. Then, it asked, "What is Voodoo?"

"Ah, a religion of Haiti. Which was an island."

"In the Caribbean, yes."


"Anyway, Voodoo was a religion. It combined African with European elements. I don't really know much about it."

 Omni seemed genuinely puzzled. "None of this is in my databases."

"Really? Maybe your programmers didn't think it was worth while."

"That is unlikely. May I ask what book that is?" 

Bobbi turned the cover to show the book it to Omni. 

"Strange," said the Avatar, "I don't recall that book being in the library. I don't believe I've ever seen it before. I don't find it even in electronic form at the World Repository of Texts."

"Something misfiled?"

"Perhaps." One of the Basics padded up beside him and took the book. Omni continued. "I'll see that it is properly handled."  

"As you wish,"

The Avatar smiled. "In the meanwhile, I will do some research. I will seek out your Baron."

No comments:

Post a Comment